Friday, April 15, 2005

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Conversation with Ciera on the way to her soccer game tonight:

Her: Oh my gosh! That car has a license plate from Hawaii! Do you think they drove all the way from Hawaii?? That would seriously be a long drive.

Me: (Pause to see if she's serious..she is.) Yeah, sis. They drove on that bridge between California and Hawaii.

Her: (Pause to see if I'm serious...she can't decide.) Is there really a bridge?

Me: Sure, Ciera. A bridge that just goes thousands of miles.

Her: Momma! Stop! I didn't know. I thought California might be close to Hawaii. I figured that's why it's always in that little box by California on the maps.

In that moment, I realized why my daughter is such a good goalkeeper. She just doesn't know any better.

Speaking of goalkeeping...tonight was our first of 8 games this weekend. Ciera plays 4 and Avery plays 4. Well...Ciera plays 4 if we make it to finals. I'm hoping if I say it enough, we will. We won tonight 2-1. Good for us. We get 3 points toward tournament standings. The other team gets none. She is really playing well. I'm really happy. She's allowed only 3 goals in the last 8 games. Can't really complain about those kind of stats.

Oh..and if anybody has any suggestions for the 5 page philosophy paper I have to turn in by Monday....the topic is: What is the meaning of life? Nice, huh?

6 Comments:

At April 15, 2005 11:32 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

This is why I had to get out of the educational system after one BA: I pretty much think life has no meaning, and I was getting fed up with making stuff up to please the faculty, who probably would have agreed with me if we could have gotten drunk together.

 
At April 18, 2005 8:56 AM, Blogger Jilleyn said...

There is no meaning. The end.

 
At April 18, 2005 10:32 AM, Blogger Pops said...

Damn. And you can only use five pages?

The only thing I think you can't answer is something like "My cat Mr. Blinkers who makes it all seem worth it".

 
At April 18, 2005 10:34 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Larry:
I'm with you. If life had meaning I wouldn't have to take part in some bullshit philosophy class about the meaning of life. Of course, I didn't say that in my paper because I'm not yet fed up with making stuff up to please the faculty. Not to mention, I'm still trying to convince them to get drunk with me.

Jill: I was gonna try it but I had to consider the 4 letter grades I'd lose for not meeting the length requirement.

Pops: I know! Can you believe someone would actually expect me to define life in only 1500 words? It's like asking MPH to describe his love for Jennifer in only one freakin' post!

 
At April 20, 2005 6:17 PM, Blogger David Tellez said...

So you're raising a Jessica Simpson/Mia Hamm daughter, huh? LOL...AWESOME!

 
At May 05, 2005 1:39 AM, Blogger Internet Street Philosopher said...

And I thought that I was the only one who must have come from an alternate dimension! I'm not alone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home