Friday, February 04, 2005

Sing Me a Lullaby

So..I'm home. It's 10:20 pm. I'm exhausted, but you know what? My daughter was infreakincredible in her game tonight. Those of you who keep up know she is a keeper. That's her sole position and she shares it with no one. She's had a building desire to spend some time on the field lately. She can usually hold her own in a defender or mid position. She just hasn't done it in a LONG time. She made a deal with her coach that he would let her play on the field if she shut the other team out in the first half. She held up her end and he held up his. Except he put her in as a FORWARD! I watched her run out and take position and my heart stopped for a second. I was so afraid it was gonna be ugly. Oh...how wrong I was. She scored the first point of the second half! The first goal she's made in an actual game in 3 years. And it was beautiful! She came sprinting down the field, hurdled the girl that fell in front of her just in time to intercept the pass and put it in the upper 90 for a goal. I almost cried. The parents in the stand went crazy. The teammates were high-fiving. Beautiful. Makes all of the crazy chaos that led up to it....miniscule, non-existent, soooo worth the ending! I love how children can do that for you: just erase all the bad with one crowning moment.

So good night all. And sweet dreams. I might me back tomorrow...... if I wake up.

3 Comments:

At February 05, 2005 8:52 AM, Blogger jericmiller said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At February 05, 2005 9:54 AM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

I never thought I'd get a kick out of a goal scored by someone I don't know in a game I didn't even know was taking place, but I did.

 
At February 05, 2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Holly said...

It was perfection, Larry. Perfect ending for a much-less-than-perfect day. One of those times that you are sure the cosmos came together solely for your own good. Last minute debates about whether the need for sleep was stronger than the need to be there; last minute reminders to always feed the ball outside and keep your knees bent; last minute good luck kisses: All coming together to remind you that life is good. And this morning, she calls from her dad's to tell me that she's still amazed, still so proud. I know it sounds crazy that a soccer game among 12 year old girls can render symbols so profound...but it's a crazy world sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home