Thursday, January 20, 2005

Death and Government

Ugh. It's been a bad week. Jeremy's (ex-husband) grandmother died Tuesday evening. She is the woman that raised him. It's a sad, long story that I don't have the energy to recant at the moment. A vicious cycle of bad parenting and grandparenting that ultimately led to our divorce. He loved her very much. And so did my girls. It was a long battle with cancer. The end was very much expected but still excruciating for them. It's heart-wrenching to see your children in that kind of pain. The kind of pain that you can't fix with a kiss or a band-aid or even stitches. It's hard to look at their swollen faces and bloodshot eyes and tell them that everything will be ok. Children always do opposite of what you expect. Avery is my sensitive one. I thought she would be devastated. She was...for a few hours. Then she drew some pictures of her G.G and wrote a song and found solace. Ciera is taking it much harder. I guess because she's older and thinks deeper. It makes me very sad. So I did the one thing I knew to do....we went and got haircuts and new clothes. It helped. It makes me wonder if there is something innate about shopping....built into the female chemistry. Ciera says she will still play in her soccer game tomorrow after the funeral. She says her G.G. will finally not be too sick to see her play.

I HATE this government professor. I know that I should probably not jump to that conclusion so early in the semester. Especially since I've never even met him face to face, but I have jumped. I know when I write an "A" paper. There have been occasions that I just wasn't up to it and intentionally wrote a "B" paper. I'm not trying to brag, but I can hold my own when writing a paper. And with the miracles of Spell and Grammar Check...how could I go wrong? So when I questioned my professor as to why he didn't find my writing worthy of an "A", here is a clip from his response:
one last point. I might be guilty of grading someone a little more harshly, if there are some indicators in their writing that they have real promise, than I might grade someone that has no writing aptitude at all, especially in the first writing assignment. This probably isn't fair, but subconsciously, I think every faculty does it to some extent.
Aside from the GLARING gramattical errors, I find this unsettling. Maybe I'm just pissed because he wouldn't give me the "A."

3 Comments:

At January 21, 2005 7:03 AM, Blogger Jilleyn said...

Save that e-mail for the Dean. Jeez.

 
At January 25, 2005 1:56 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

I'm with you on this, Holly. Is this an advanced doctoral seminar consisting of only the world's top ten people in the field? If not, his job is to teach government, not to concern himself your writing style.
Also, please don't tell me you haven't met the guy because he's not teaching his classes in person (If this is an online class I withdraw that remark.).

 
At January 27, 2005 9:48 AM, Blogger jericmiller said...

i see his point though. not with you of course, not about your particular paper (you should get A), but then i'm fond of you so that doesn't count. writing should be reinforced in all of the classes where writing is required. the sad thing is, as you noted, his leaves a lot to be desired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home